Position Title Career Coach - Career Paths Posting Number 01746SA Location See Work Arrangements Grade or Pay Level - Salary Range To be determined Position Type Training Group Contract Employment Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Contract Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Training Group Start Date 03/01/2023 End Date 03/29/2024 Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays, Other - Some evenings and weekends Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This temporary contract position is for 40 hours per week and will cover a maternity leave.
Must be able to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends).
Home base is Surrey Training Centre however travel is required between delivery sites in New Westminster, Coquitlam and Burnaby in addition to travel across the Lower Mainland.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Career Coach contributes to the success of Douglas College and its community of learners and will be responsible as part of the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants' team to assist program participants in finding work in their field of expertise. This project supports internationally educated health professionals (IEHPs) living anywhere in the province of British Columbia.
The intent of the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants initiative is to improve employment outcomes for Skilled Immigrants in BC by leveraging their pre-arrival skills and qualifications which thereby contributes to higher earnings and facilitates progress towards re-credentialing where appropriate. This, in turn, benefits the BC Labour Market. Participants will have pre-landing experience as a Physician, Specialist Physician, Nurse (RN/ LPN / RPN ), Healthcare Assistant or Sonographer and are seeking commensurate or aligned work in healthcare.Responsibilities
• Program marketing, participant recruitment and eligibility screening;
• Individualized needs assessment and action planning which includes up-to-date and detailed steps on pathways to licensure for regulated professionals;
• Assisting professional newcomer clients to research their occupational field and the local labour market;
• Identifying and addressing clients' employment and licensure barriers;
• Coaching skilled immigrants in effective strategies specific to their occupational goal;
• Preparing and facilitating online and face-to-face occupation specific workshops for skilled immigrants;
• Job development and placement monitoring;
• Reporting and tracking participant outcomes and activities with accuracy;
• Establishing priorities, setting and meeting deadlines;
• Adapting to constantly changing requirements and working well under pressure;
• Developing and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues, program participants, community service providers, regulatory bodies, and employers.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Minimum of Bachelor's degree;
• 3 to 5 years' experience facilitating workplace orientation for newcomers and delivering career development services; Experience working with skilled immigrants in regulated healthcare occupations is preferred;
• Extensive experience and proven outcomes in coaching professionals through regulated licensing processes and to secure work;
• Solid experience liaising with regulatory bodies, professional associations, community service providers/agencies, and employers to develop program services, job leads, and to meet contract performance targets;
• Proven experience with leading, moderating webinars/workshops both in person and online;
• Comfortable learning new technology (web conferencing, learning management system)
• Knowledge of Essential Skills;
• Knowledge of Canadian workplace practices and current labour market knowledge across a range of industry sectors;
• Advanced computer and social media proficiency;
• Excellent team player; ability to calmly handle changing circumstances;
• Ability to adjust to a flexible schedule (weekends, evenings)
• Travel within BC is required: access to a vehicle and valid BC Driver's license or reliable alternative transportation.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check Yes
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 01/06/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview may need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/10282
Education and Training