** Financial Support for Moving Expenses is available for this position **
Do you have a passion for nursing? Would you like to travel to rural communities in northern British Columbia for short periods and meet some amazing people along the way? We offer permanent and casual opportunities using a self-scheduling model providing you flexibility. We provide travel, accommodations and meal per-diem.
For more information visit the Travel Resource Program
In accordance with established vision and values of the organization, the Registered Psychiatric Nurse/Registered Nurse practices in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) as well as within a patient and family centered care model. The Travel Nurse practices in a variety of clinical settings, and communities, and is responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of client care. Working in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) /Registered Nurse (RN) ensures the delivery of client-centered care by assisting individual clients and their families respond to changing health care needs. The incumbent demonstrates a specialized body of knowledge and bases practice on nursing science and related content from other sciences and humanities. Rural community hospitals provide a wide range of services and depending on the location may require the RPN/RN to be competent in multiple clinical settings. This job description addresses various scenarios where nurses are required to work in one or more areas requiring advanced training & experience. Registered Psychiatric Nurse will be assigned to work in the designated settings such as mental health, long term care, primary care network with mental health clients and IOAT. Shift Rotation/Hours of work:
Days, Evenings, Nights - 07:00 to 19:00, 19:00 to 07:00, 08:00 to 12:00, 08:00 to 16:00, 08:00 to 20:00, rotating. This position uses a self-scheduling model. Position to work in various rural sites, not specific to any one community setting or acute location with paid travel times of 4, 8 or 12 hours.
You have the opportunity to travel to Kitimat, Dease Lake, Ft. St. James, Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, Fort St. John, Haida Gwaii, Mackenzie, Prince Rupert, and Terrace. Explore these wonderful communities northern communities. What Northern Health has to offer you!
• Comprehensive benefit packages including MSP, extended health/dental and a municipal pension plan for part-time and full-time employees. Casuals have the option of paying for benefits.
• Four weeks vacation with one year of continuous service
• Financial support for moving expenses is available for eligible positions
• Employee referral program
• Employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
• Spectacular outdoor activities and the shortest commutes in BC
• "Loan Forgiveness Programs" are offered through the Federal and BC Government for eligible professions. Qualifications
• Registration with BC College of Nurses and Midwives as a practicing RPN or RN registrant (BCCNM).
• Minimum two (2) years recent experience working in an acute care environment or one year (1) recent experience working in an acute care environment with advance preparation in a clinical specialty such as Emergency, Perinatal, Perioperative, rural and remote.
• Recent clinical nursing experience in community health, public health, mental health, residential care or primary care may be considered an asset.
• Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) within 3 years.
• Current valid B.C. Driver's License.Skills and Abilities:
• Assessment and Intervention
- Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) and provide nursing care through appropriate/ prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with the clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written and computer communication means.
• Critical Thinking
- Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve effectively.
• Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice
- Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
- Ability to transmit information intended to instruct clients and others about topics essential to health care and well-being.
- Manages time and resources, implementing activities to promote cooperation among relevant others, collaboration across disciplines and related activities.
- Promotes staff morale, cooperation, assertiveness and risk-taking, creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of NH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self.
• Knowledge Integration
- Using factual information, prior learning and basic principles and procedures to support decisions and actions with relevant research-based evidence. Integrates best practice from nursing and health-related disciplines and the humanities, arts and sciences disciplines into professional practice.
• Ability to operate related equipment including relevant computer applications.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.Who we are
Northern Health covers an area of nearly 600,000 square kilometers and offers health services in over two dozen communities and 55 First Nation's communities. We deliver hospital and community-based health care for a population of 300,000.
Employing more than 7,000 staff throughout the region, Northern Health provides exceptional health services for Northerners, through the efforts of dedicated staff and physicians, in partnership with communities and organizations in Northern BC.
There is a wide variety of career opportunities available in our two dozen hospitals, 25 long-term care facilities, public health units and many other offices providing specialized services.