Our goal is to bring the best-in-class tooling to developers to help them build highly engaging skills. We do this by building publicly available intelligent web services and intuitive web-based tools that help skill-builders confidently release skills and continuously improve their performance. E.g., our simulation and testing tools let developers test and debug their skills without requiring a physical Alexa device before and after a Skill is launched. Our evaluation tools enable developers to evaluate the speech recognition (ASR) and natural language (NLU) performance of their Skill and make changes to the skill model to address issues. We are measurably making Alexa smarter, and we need your help to define and build the next generation of capabilities.
Key job responsibilities
You've found the right team if you are a passionate software engineer with experience building innovative applications that customers love. You will join a growing distributed organization located in Vancouver, Canada, Seattle, US and Pune, India and have an enormous opportunity to make an impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know.
We're working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!
- Building software that runs with high quality on millions of Echo family devices, and Alexa-enabled Devices.
- Taking a long-term view of architecture, proactively fixing deficiencies and/or proposing larger projects.
- Understanding the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs.
- Driving engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
- When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path, building consensus.
- You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices
A day in the life
A typical day will start with a morning huddle to catch up on what you and your team worked on the previous day. This is usually followed by some white-board (pre-covid) design discussions on the problems the team is working on, with afternoon mostly spent on project design and implementation work with a heavy dose of code reviews from and for your team along the way. We are a fun, close knit team where everyone is ready to roll their sleeves and help each other out, push boundaries and have fun doing it!
About the team
Alexa Skills Kit or ASK is an organization within Alexa on a mission to empower skill builders to create delightful and engaging experiences by making Alexa more natural, accurate, conversational, and personalized. Skills are like apps for Alexa and provide a new channel for your content and services. Skills let customers use their voices to perform everyday tasks like checking the news, listening to music, playing a game, and more. Organizations and individuals can publish skills in the Alexa Skills Store to reach and delight customers on hundreds of millions of Alexa devices.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
• 1+ years of experience building production software systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming