Amazon's In-Memory database services such as MemoryDB and ElastiCache are massive at-scale services that are powering some of the top companies in the world. These databases are transforming how customers understand and use in-memory databases that have historically been used only as cache. As in-memory databases become more mainstream, we are looking for individuals who can come in and build net new capabilities and grow the business further.
We're on the lookout for a leader who is passionate about caching systems, distributed systems and people. A rare combination. In this position, you will work closely with architects, product managers and customers to define new features and build net new experiences for our customers interested in increasing the usage of their cache solutions. You will own the design, development, testing and deployment of these database services. You will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues. You will parter with design engineers to help build net new user experiences for our customers.
As a manager, you will also focus on growing individuals and team charter influence technical and long-term business strategy, help us hire talented team of engineers and work closely with senior executives to deliver innovative new solutions rapidly.
A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, strong business acumen and judgment, an ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, ability to hire and lead a team, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
Key job responsibilities
- Lead design, implementation, and deployment of successful highly distributed, large scale services.
- Responsible for identifying, commissioning and leading work on complex, large-scale systems that have a major impact on the entire company.
- Serve as a lead on multi-team, cross-functional projects.
- Actively participate in hiring talented people and assist in the career development of others both on and outside your team, mentoring individuals and helping other managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Play a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements. Help form long-term technical and business strategy and goals.
- Demonstrate high levels of creativity and right judgments, most of the time.
- Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
- Maintain a current understanding of industry and technology trends.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of relevant software development and engineering management experience
- Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Work experience delivering one or more version one products, ideally in a startup setting
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming