Do you want to be part of a team that designs and implements critical payment related services for Amazon with air-tight security and five-nine availability that serve millions of requests per minute? Do you want to be part of a fun group that explores cutting-edge technology, with a culture of learning from each other and developing each other? Do you want to be part of an organization that will be at the center of projects that will shape the future of the payments industry? If you answer yes to any of the questions above, this position is for you! Your work will be visible among the company's senior executives.
We seek an experienced Software Development Manager with a background in developing, delivering, and supporting software services that provide simple solutions for a broad set of problems. You have a strong technical ability, great communication skills, and know-how to inspire your team to achieve outstanding results in a fast-paced environment. You have a track record of building and leading strong teams of talented engineers, and you enjoy working with smart people. You will own your services and be able to make tough product decisions that balance competing priorities.
Key job responsibilities
- Work closely with software engineers and managers to architect and develop the best technical designs, architectures and implementations.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and yearly strategy and roadmaps for the team based on project priorities and project benefit.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Work with Product and Program Managers to develop and evolve the vision and strategy for the team.
- Use Agile principles to run the development lifecycle for team's applications and services.
- Manage, execute and communicate project plans and delivery commitments.
- Hire, mentor, develop and maintain a best-of-class software development teams.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 5+ years of experience working with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience building scalable distributed systems with service oriented architectures
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, e.g. Java, C#, or C++
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent in relevant work experience
- Extensive software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
- Managing a team of 10+ engineers
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Graduate degree a plus
- Strong written/spoken communication skills
- Experience with system architecture/design
- Experience with distributed systems operating in a scalable/high volume environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming