The vision of Automated Profitability Management (APM) is to automate and improve Amazon Retail Profitability through the innovative application of Machine Learning and Software Engineering.
Traditionally, this involved an Amazon retail business person picking up the phone, calling up their counter-part on the supplier side to discuss and improve the terms of doing business with Amazon. These terms include: what is the price Amazon should pay to the vendor for a given unit of a product? Can we get vendor to provide funding for initiatives on Amazon (e.g. volume-based incentives, promotions / merchandising opportunities on our website)? How do we handle the cost of bringing in the product / cover any damage to the products? Do we have alternative sourcing channels (e.g. two or more vendors offering the same product) so we can negotiate harder? Each of these negotiation decisions has a direct impact on Amazon's profitability.
Now imagine doing this across tens of thousands of suppliers and tens of millions of products, across tens of different countries worldwide, and at a double-digit growth rate every year. Clearly it is not a problem we can solve with humans because we won't be able to scale. Instead of relying on humans to make the final call, we will have machines make the actual decisions, so it is completely 'hands off the wheels' from humans.
How do we do that? The good thing is we have data - lots if it - historical contracts, product costs and historical supplier funding, sales performance etc. We will leverage this advantage to solve the problem using algorithms, machine learning and data-driven approaches. Hence we are turning the art of Retail profitability management into a science. At Automated Profitability Systems, we are developing systems that will use technology to disrupt and fundamentally change the way e-commerce costs and supplier terms are managed.
As part of Automated Profitability Management (APM), the Negotiation Intelligence team applies Machine Learning and Economic Methodologies to add intelligent automation to the retail business and vendor relationships. We are an interdisciplinary team of Economists, Engineers, and Scientists incubating and building day one solutions using cutting-edge technology, to solve some of the toughest business problems at Amazon. We also develop statistical models and algorithms to drive strategic business decisions and improve operations. We are an interdisciplinary team of Economists, Engineers, and Scientists incubating and building disruptive solutions using cutting-edge technology to solve some of the toughest business problems at Amazon.
As an SDM in APM, you will manage a team of software engineers and work closely with the science team to deploy and run the ML models in production. You will work with business leaders, scientists, and economists to translate business and functional requirements into concrete engineering deliverables, define the technical vision and translate it into specific plans for the engineering team.
This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone who wants to have business impact, dive deep into large-scale economic problems, enable measurable actions on the Consumer economy, and work closely with scientists and economists. This role combines leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus and business understanding.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Established track record of building large-scale distributed systems
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Excellent understanding of the tools of the trade, including proficiency in a modern programming languages (Java, Scala, C#, Python) and open-source technologies
• Strong track record of building and leading world-class software and operations teams, and delivering compelling customer experiences
• Ability to deep dive with an analytical and metrics-driven mindset
• Strong organizational planning and development, business judgment, technical leadership, and communication skillsPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.
• Experience building large-scale machine-learning systems that support batch, online and streaming architectures
• Experience with Big technologies such as Machine technologies
• Experience managing a blended team of and building experimental solutions
• A passion for innovation and raising the bar in teams, technology and projects
• An analytical mind that thrives in a driven environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with minimal outside direction, while constantly advancing long term goals.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming