Do you want to build cutting-edge highly scalable services & infrastructure using AWS technologies and support new machine learning initiatives? Does the prospect of building services serving billions of requests per day while maintaining response latencies in milliseconds and meeting strict SLA requirements, excite you?
The Books Personalization team helps customers to find the next book they would love. Our systems and algorithms operate on one of the world's largest book catalogs, recommending books to customers - with a strict latency constraint. We are a team of software engineers & data engineers working alongside machine learning scientists on complex solutions to understand the customer intent and present them with books are relevant to their liking.
We are looking for a Sr. Data Engineer, who can drive appropriate technology choices for the business, lead the way for continuous innovation, and shape the future of recommendation systems in Amazon Books. You will build services to handle billions of requests per day, while maintaining response latencies in milliseconds and meeting strict SLA requirements. It is quite routine for our systems to operate on massive datasets using distributed frameworks. You will design and code, troubleshoot, and support high volume and low latency distributed systems. You will also be instrumental in developing ML models either from scratch or by modifying existing algorithms. The solutions you create would drive step increases in building better recommender and/or helping more customers. You will directly impact our customers' book shopping experience. This role will provide exposure to cutting-edge innovations in recommender system, as well as working experience on science side of the spectrum.
Key job responsibilities
- Build reproducible ML Pipelines orchestrating various components for ML models.
- Enforce common data design patterns to increase code maintainability
- Create ML Infrastructure architecture designs and conduct reviews
- Partner with team leads to identify, design, and implement internal process improvements
- Work in an Agile environment that focuses on collaboration and teamwork
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or related field, with a minimum of 5+ years of industry experience.
- Knowledge of professional data engineering practices & best practices
- Experience building complex software data systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- 4+ years in working with large data sets and analyzing data to identify patterns.
- 5+ years in data warehousing projects with at least 4 years of full life cycle experience in implementation and support of DW Solutions.
- 5+ years in SQL and ETL best practices.
- Query performance tuning skills
- Experience with Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, Pig, Spark, etc.)
- Experience in functional programming languages (Scala, Python, etc.)
- Experience in leveraging distributed architecture when working with large datasets
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming