Would you like to work with one of the most complex employee systems in the world? Amazon Compensation Technology Team is seeking an innovative and highly motivated Software Development Engineer to join our growing organization. We are building new software products and large scale distributed systems which will manage the compensation experience for Amazon's rapidly growing workforce. We are empowered to think big at Amazon, and the Amazon Compensation Technology Team is doing just that. Where third-party products don't scale to meet our needs, we build our own products which provide the scalability and flexibility we need.
We take full advantage of the amazing technology toolset we have. We use AWS technologies such as Lambda, Dynamo DB, SQS, SNS, SWS, Redshift, S3, and many others to build highly scalable solutions. We directly shape the future growth of Amazon and the impact of our work can be seen all around us.
Do you find re-defining and building new platforms from the ground up exciting? Do you like working with new technologies, finding new solutions to complex problems? Do you like working with all stages of product development from working with customers on business requirements to deploying and supporting your own software?
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for a strong Senior Software Development Engineer who can take the lead in identifying and solving ambiguous problems. You will own and heavily influence the architecture and design, and will write a significant portion of the "critical-path" code. You will influence the team's technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to team priorities and approach.
Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivering large scale solutions. You will contribute to all aspects of an agile software development lifecycle including design, architecture, development, documentation, testing and operations. You will push your design and architecture by owning all aspects of solutions end-to-end, through full stack software development.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Amazon. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A day in the life
As an SDE III for the ACT team, you will contribute and help lead on all aspects of the software development lifecycle, including advocating for candidates, clarifying requirements, system design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You will leverage Amazon's industry leading technologies to build modern, distributed systems. You should have strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven, and have a demonstrated track record of delivering high quality results, in a fast-paced environment.
About the team
We are the Amazon Compensation Technology (ACT) team. ACT enables Amazon to realize the goal of compensation: attracting, motivating and retaining talent. We do this by providing the products and services necessary for calculating and managing every compensation change activity in the lifecycle of all global Amazon employees. We are working to build smart compensation recommendation using ML data science models extracted from our compensation data history . We give all users a clear and consistent understanding of how compensation was calculated, how and when it can be adjusted, and the impacts of compensation adjustments. We provide the reporting, data, and insights that enables continuous evolution of compensation programs and policies.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or related disciplines) and/or equivalent education & work experience.
- 7+ years of software development experience
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C++ or other object oriented programming languages.
- Strong computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complex analysis
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in communicating with customers, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Master degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Software development experience in JSP, Spring, AWS, S3, SQS, building web services and highly scalable applications
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- Experience working with Agile engineering practices
- Ability to deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming